Sometimes Cara the amazing tea blender posts food porn… and it’s usually glutenous and makes me want delicious pasta and breads so I have an urge to make something.
Today she posted these delicious looking sugar coated doughnuts and I was drinking Sherlock and thought “What the hell.”
So here we have Fried Doughlocks.
- Roughly 1 and a 1/4 cup of sifted flour (I used a mix of GF Bisquick and Pamela’s baking mixes)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of brewed Sherlock tea with your choice of milk (I used vanilla almond)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Mix that shiz up.
- Take your pan, pot, or deep frier, and fill it with oil. I choose canola oil for frying.
- Heat of the oil slowly until you can just start to smell it. DO NOT put it on high. Keep it at a medium/high temp. On electric stove tops that would be about a 3 or a 4.
- Plop the batter in. Let it sizzle. Flip carefully if need be. The whole frying process should take about 2 minutes each.
- Once a golden shade of fried sherlockiness, pat your doughnut down with a paper towel and then procede to roll it in sugar. (if you don’t have bakers hands like me, be sure to let it cool down a bit first).
- Keep going. This recipe should get you at least 20 doughnuts if they’re smaller in size.
Once you’re done, enjoy your doughlock with a cup of tea (or water, you may need some after being around all that frying).
I find that doughlocks go particularly well with Cara’s Watson blend.